Mushrooms on Toast - Caity


I was a lucky girl yesterday. I got to go to the DMV and hang out with all of the interesting people there while waiting to renew my tags. After 45 minutes of waiting and listening to the man sitting across from me tell me about how I shouldn't use my iPhone because the government was using it to spy on me, I was just a teensy bit grumpy and ready to go home. Also, it was getting close to lunch time and I was starving! 

When I got home, I dug through the fridge looking for anything edible and non-moldy. Voila! Mushrooms on Toast! It's easy, filling and not too heavy. You can use any type of mushrooms you like: I happened to have button mushrooms and Chanterelle's on hand so that's what I used. It looks pretty to use a couple of different kinds, but tastes great with any type. I used sandwich bread but it would be especially tasty with fancy shmancy bread. 

Serves 1



what you'll need:

1 heaping cup sliced mushrooms
a couple sprigs of fresh thyme
1/2 clove garlic, thinly sliced (not pictured above-oops) 
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 piece of bread
butter, for toast (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Begin by thoroughly cleaning the mushrooms. You can either rinse them or use a damp paper towel to wipe them down. Remove the stems. Slice them into bite sized pieces. If you are using button mushrooms and have some really little ones, leave them whole to add some texture. 

Add 1/2 Tbsp olive oil to a small pan. Sauté the sliced garlic until it just starts to brown.

Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until soft and browned. 


Remove the mushrooms from heat and sprinkle in the thyme leaves. 

Toast the bread. Spread toast with butter if you would like. Butter... yummmmm! 


Spoon the mushrooms on the toast. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

Enjoy with tea or coffee for breakfast or an afternoon snack. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin