Slow Cooked Applesauce with Browned Butter - Caity


Autumn means the grocery store has been flooded with a huge variety of tasty apples of all colors and sizes. The New Seasons by my apartment had a sampling table where you could sample a dozen different varieties to help you decide what to buy. It didn't help me much because I was convinced that every apple I tried was the best apple in the bunch. I ended up taking home about one of each. I'm starting to think that was their plan all along... 

What do you do with twelve apples? Make applesauce of course! A few days ago, my mom had told me about some delicious applesauce she had made using the slow cooker and a splash of browned butter. She said the browned butter added a nice warm savory flavor to the sauce and combined with all the spices, it was a must make. Then she told me she served it warm for dessert with vanilla ice cream and crumbled gingersnap cookies. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I also like to eat it cold from the fridge sprinkled with Auntie O's Granola for a fast breakfast. 

I like leaving the peels on the apples, partly because I like the taste and partly because I hate peeling apples. My mom says she prefers it without them or else she will end up picking them out of the sauce. It's a personal preference. If you are going to keep the peels on, make sure you buy organic apples. 

Makes 2-3 cups of applesauce. 


what you'll need:

4 large organic red-tinged apples
1 cinnamon stick
1-1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup water

In a small saucepan, brown the butter over medium-high heat. 

Then wash the apples well. If you do not want to have peels in your sauce, peel all four apples. Or you could peel half if you're undecided. Core and chop the apples into large chunks.  


Add the apples, water, and spices to the crock pot. 


Pour the browned butter over the top. 


Leave on high heat for 3-4 hours or low heat for 6 hours, stirring occasionally. 

When the time is up, stir the sauce well and you'll notice the apples start to break up quickly. If you like chunkier applesauce, don't stir too well. 

Serve warm with pork chops or as dessert with ice cream and crumbled gingersnap cookies or right out of the fridge. Try sprinkling it with Auntie O's Granola for a tasty fall breakfast. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin