Butternut Caprese - Caity



There are some days when I am entirely uninspired to cook anything. I am hungry but nothing sounds good. First world problems right?. I am sick of making the stuff I usually cook and I can't seem to think of anything that makes me feel excited about making dinner. 

Am I resigned to ordering pizza??? Sometimes. But usually, I like to open Erin Gleeson's cookbook, "The Forest Feast", and flip through her fresh and easy recipes and I am inspired to whip up something delicious! If you haven't seen it, this cookbook has gorgeous pictures of fresh food that doesn't require a million steps (perfect for when you're feeling lazy!). This recipe for Butternut Caprese comes from her cookbook and I highly recommend it. It's perfect as a light lunch or I served it for dinner with baked chicken thighs and Summer Zucchini Noodle Salad and it was fantastic! I recommend serving it as soon as it's ready to prevent any avocado browning. 

Serves 3-4 as a meal, serves 6 as a side dish


 
what you'll need: 

1 medium butternut squash
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 ripe avocado, cubed
2 cups fresh mozarella, cubed (I bought the Ciliegine size and cut them into quarters)
1/2 cup fresh basil, sliced chiffonade (for instructions click here)
olive oil, to taste
balsamic vinegar, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 425 F. While it's heating up, peel and cube the butternut squash (see pictures below to help you from accidentally cutting your hand off while trying to cube).


Place cubes on a large sheet pan. Drizzle olive oil over butternut squash cubes and season with salt and pepper. Roast at 425 F for 30-40 minutes until soft and slightly browned - but not mushy.


Allow the butternut squash to cool for several minutes. Then combine with cherry tomatoes, avocado, mozzarella, and basil. 

Dress with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Serve fresh!

Four years ago: Green Posole with Chicken, Texas Sheet Cake


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin