Summer Zucchini Noodle Salad - Caity



As the summer produce slows down, I am starting to panic. Despite the fact that I am excited for fall and love anything pumpkin flavored, I also love walking outside to the garden and coming inside with everything I need for dinner. My mom is especially good at creating special dishes with what is available in the garden and the refrigerator which is how this special dish was born. 

My mom flew up to Portland for a day so she could drive back to Utah with me (now THAT is love!). I had to work that night so while I slept all day, she weeded my garden, picked the produce, watered everything, cleaned the kitchen and packed my lunch for work. It was amazing. She made me ratatouille with polenta and this Summer Zucchini Noodle Salad. 

Squeeze in this last little bit of summer flavors before the big autumn switch!  

Serves 3-4

Two years ago: Barley Greek Salad



what you'll need: 

for the salad:
2-3 zucchini and/or yellow squash
a handful of cherry tomatoes
fresh mozzarella, diced (or use "pearlini"which are already bite sized)
a few leaves of fresh basil

for the lemon vinaigrette:
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup good olive oil
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper


For the Lemon Vinaigrette:

Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.

For the Salad:

Using a spiralizer, mandolin or vegetable peeler with a julienne attachment, create your zucchini and squash noodles. If using the spiralizer try to stop intermittently so you don't have a 30 foot long noodle (trust me, I know from personal experience!). 


Toss the noodles together in a bowl to mix the colors. 

Dice the mozzarella into bite size pieces. 

Slice the cherry tomatoes in half. 

Chiffonade the basil (for instructions, see our Caprese Salad recipe).


Toss the noodles with lemon vinaigrette to coat. Store any extra dressing in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. (P.S. This dressing has many uses! Check out Caity's Favorite Dinner: Chicken Parmesan, and White Pizzas with Arugula for ideas). 

Top the salad with the tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and fresh cracked pepper. Enjoy! 

Two years ago: Barley Greek Salad
Three years ago: Elephants Tomato Orange Soup



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin