Grilled Fava Beans - Caity


To a kid, fava beans never sounded like something I would want to eat. In cartoons, lima beans and fava beans were the "gross" food that all the kids despised. As an adult, I had heard fava beans were a pain in the... neck... to peel. Based on these two important pieces of evidence, I avoided them for 25 years. Until we went to dinner last summer at Grain & Gristle and I was feeling bold and brave (probably after a glass of wine) and I ordered Grilled Fava Beans. After sucking down two plates, let's just say I'm a convert. 

I still have not personally experienced peeling uncooked fava beans but I can attest that grilled fava beans are cake to peel. They sort of pop open like edamame! Grilled Fava Beans have become one of my favorite low-key summer sides. I like to make it with salt, red pepper flakes, and lemon zest. If you have another combination you like, please let me know!

Three years ago: Hamachi Shots

what you'll need:

fresh fava beans, still in their pods
olive oil
kosher salt
optional add-ins: red pepper flakes, lemon zest, fresh or dried herbs

Rinse and dry the fava beans. In a large bowl, toss the fava beans with a good glug of olive oil and large pinch of salt.

Heat the grill up to medium-high heat. Arrange the fava beans in a single layer being careful not to lose any between grates. I like to use the grill pan just so I don't have to worry about losing any, but if I were making more beans, I'd work it batches so they all got nice grill marks. 

Grill for 4 to 5 minutes until blistered then flip.


Grill for a few more minutes then remove from the grill. They will continue to steam in their pods so you don't need to get too carried away with the grilling. If you're not sure if they're done, open one and taste test! They should be soft and creamy but not too mushy or too crunchy.

Season with more salt and any additional add-ins you would like (red pepper flakes, lemon zest, fresh or dried herbs, etc). 

Eat them with your hands and remember that there is lots of flavor on the pods and on your fingers! No shame!

Three years ago: Hamachi Shots
Four years ago: White Peach Sangria, Auntie Ellyn and Uncle Todd's Chopped Salad, Strawberry Nutella Sandwich

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin