Basil Saketini - Caity

Sake can seem like a scary thing. If you've ever gotten the hot stuff at a sushi restaurant... let's just say not my favorite. I'm working on liking the cold ones. Just like wine, you like some and you avoid others like the plague. Luckily for those of us who aren't completely sold on sake tasting, there is the SAKETINI!

To me, saketini's don't really taste like sake. Think of it as a Japanese sangria. This recipe is based on a drink I had Oregon's Spring Beer Festival in March. The original recipe calls for Ruby Red Grapefruit syrup but I had no idea where to get that so I looked in my cupboard and I had elderflower syrup from Ikea. Feel free to use whatever syrup strikes your fancy. You could do simple syrup or I bet grenadine would be good!

Also, for those of you who may not have had sake, compare it to wine. If you have 4 glasses of sake, that is like having 4 glasses of wine. This stuff is so good it goes down VERY easily!


what you'll need: 

for one drink:
4 fl. oz sake
3/4 fl. oz Elderflower syrup (see paragraph above for substitutions)
3/4 fl. oz lemonade
2 basil leaves
1/4 cup ice

for a pitcher of drinks:

one bottle of sake (750 mL)
4-1/2 fl. oz Elderflower syrup
4-1/2 fl. oz lemonade
12 basil leaves
ice

Muddle the basil leaves, ice and sake. Combine the ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously and serve with ice. Garnish with fruit of your choice. 

One year ago: Pico de Gallo, Indian Summer Tea, Chicken Fried Steak



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin