Lucky Green Smoothie - Caity

Green is in! Especially with St. Patrick's Day coming up, you need to increase your green!

Initially I was hesitant to make a green smoothie but after my first one, I was hooked. I have tried a variety of green smoothie recipes and through trial and error, I found this one is my favorite. It is (literally) packed full of spinach and it doesn't taste like spinach at all. In combination with the chia seeds (for more info on chia seeds see Easy Refrigerator Berry Oatmeal), oatmeal, yogurt and peanut butter (optional), this smoothie is bursting with calcium, protein, fiber and omega-3's. 

I like to make a full blender of Lucky Green Smoothie and pour into two to-go cups and take it as an on-the-go breakfast. My sweet co-worker, Rebekah, made me a cute reusable plastic tumbler with plastic straw and lid that has my name on it in neon letters (my favorite!). I find that is perfect to pour my smoothie into and if you drop it on floor of your car, I can tell you from personal experience, it won't spill. My mom and sister like to enjoy them before their intense workout at BIFG in Salt Lake because it doesn't weigh them down. According to my mom, "With a Lucky Green Smoothie, you won't lose your breakfast at BIFG, no matter how much Eliza challenges you."

It's healthy and easy and you should get past the color and try it! You can add in any additional fruit you like but I will warn you; while blueberries and strawberries make it taste delicious, it can turn the smoothie a rather.... odd color of brown. It tastes fine but will alarm any unsuspecting family members or co-workers. My favorite additional fruit are frozen mangos or peaches but when I'm drinking it at home, I love blueberries for an additional kick of antioxidants. 

Serves approximately 2 (depending on how much smoothie you drink). 

One year ago: Pavlova, Cheater's Pavlova

what you'll need: 

1 banana, peeled chopped and frozen
1+ cup vanilla coconut milk, almond milk, or regular milk 
1/3 cup fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp chia seeds 
1/4 cup oatmeal 
1/2 cup frozen fruit (mangoes, peaches, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries etc.)
1-2 cups fresh baby spinach
1-2 Tbsp peanut butter (optional) 

In a blender combine oatmeal and chia seeds. Blend until you've created a oatmeal-chia seed powder.

Add in the yogurt, banana, additional frozen fruit and then pack the rest of the blender full of spinach. Yes, it feels like a LOT of spinach, but everything will be okay I promise! I like to add even more spinach after it's blended down a little bit. 

 Blend until very smooth. If you find the smoothie is too thick, add extra milk. 

Add in peanut butter if you like, or what I like to do is to pour half the smoothie into a cup and blend the rest with 1 Tbsp peanut butter. Then I have one regular Green Monster and one peanut butter Green Monster. Very delicious! 


Pour into glasses and serve cold. Ideally, this smoothie is served immediately because the nutrients start to break down the longer after it's been blended BUT for those of us who don't like to run the blender at 6:00 AM it's fine to leave it overnight in the refrigerator.

Enjoy! 

One year ago: PavlovaCheater's Pavlova


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin