Cranberry Sauce with Candied Orange Peels - Cathy


This recipe is really just the basic Ocean Spray back of the bag recipe, but it's the one my mom always used, and it's the one I like the best.  Over the years I've tried lots of fancy variations (in addition to this one that I'm posting today, and this one of course, not instead of!), with various spices, fruit, nuts, liqueurs, differing amounts of sugar, etc. but I always decide that I just like this basic back of the bag recipe the best.  Something about tradition, I guess...  So really, my only variation to the recipe is that I add chopped up candied orange peel (recipe here) that I started making when the kids were little.  I had some leftover candied peel and Erin asked me to add some into the cranberry sauce and a tradition was born!

One of the best advantages though of having this favorite recipe printed up somewhere is that sometimes I buy cranberries from say, Costco in a giant bag that doesn't have a recipe on the back.  Then I have to go hunt down the recipe, and even then the amount is in ounces instead of cups!  Or another brand may have a recipe with more sugar than I like and it ends up being way too sweet for me.  So anyway, it's nice to have the good old Ocean Spray recipe written down where it's easily accessible.  

Thanks for being there all my life, Ocean Spray to provide lots of good, delicious memories!


One year ago: Thanksgiving Turkey
Two years ago: Pecan "Crack" Pie
Three years ago: Crab and Brie Soup
Four years ago: Thanksgiving Stuffing

what you'll need: 

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 12-ounce bag cranberries (about 3 cups)
1/4 to 1/2 cup candied orange peel 


Cut the orange peel into a medium sized pieces (I cut each peel into thirds or fourths). 


In a medium-sized saucepan, add in water and sugar and bring to a boil.  Pour in the berries and candied orange peel and bring back to a boil.


Reduce the heat until just simmering gently, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring just occasionally.  At this point you can pour it into your serving dish or any other container, cover it and let it cool until it's room temperature.  Don't worry if it seems thin at this point; it'll thicken a lot as it cools.


Refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes about 2 1/4 cups.  Yum!

One year ago: Thanksgiving Turkey
Two years ago: Pecan "Crack" Pie
Three years ago: Crab and Brie Soup
Four years ago: Thanksgiving Stuffing


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin