Banana Crunch Muffins - Caity


Banana muffins are my favorite muffins! I frequently will buy a bunch of bananas just to let them go brown so I can make banana bread or muffins. My favorite banana muffins were muffins made from the Blueberry Banana Bread recipe, but now I've tried Banana Crunch Muffins, they will have to tie for first place. These Banana Crunch Muffins are especially tasty because in addition to the great banana flavor (which comes from both mashed and diced bananas), they have a lot to chew on (they contain granola, banana chips, walnuts and coconut). This recipe comes from "The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook"by Ina Garten. 

The same week I was making these muffins my mom happened to watch her TV show where she made these muffins. She said that you could make the batter the night before, refrigerate it, then bake in the morning. I thought no way, my muffins will be hockey pucks! But I tried it and it's true! They were just as good after a night in the fridge as if I had baked them straight away. That means they would be a great thing to make when you have house guests, are going to a breakfast potluck, or are taking to work. I highly recommend trying these muffins! 

Makes 18 large muffins or 24 regular muffins. 

three years ago: Mint Sugar, Garlic Grands

what you'll need:

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks of butter, melted and cooled
2 extra large eggs
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 mashed ripe bananas
1 medium-diced ripe banana
1 cup small-diced walnuts
1 cup granola (I used Auntie O's Granola and just picked out most of the fruit) 
1 cup granola, banana chips, or shredded coconut (I like to use 1/2 cup banana chips, 1/2 cup shredded coconut) 


Preheat the oven to 350 F. 

Line your muffin pan with paper liners. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment. 

Add the melted butter and blend. 


Combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, and mashed bananas, and add them to the flour/butter mixture. 


Mix just enough to combine all the ingredient, scraping the sides occasionally. 


Crush the banana chips (I found the best way was to use a plastic bag and smack them with a pan). They don't have to be a fine powder, chunks are good. 


Fold the diced bananas, walnuts, granola, and coconut into the batter.


Spoon the batter into paper liners, filling each one to the top. 

Top each muffin with dried banana chips, granola, or coconut as desired. I like it best with coconut then crushed banana chips. 


Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly, remove from the pan, and serve. 

three years ago: Mint SugarGarlic Grands

Nigel (see background) was very helpful during this whole process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin