Beans and Toast - Caity


When we used to go visit Erin in the U.K., our bed and breakfast would always serve us a "Full English Breakfast" which (depending on location) can involve eggs, bacon (not bacon like we're used to in the U.S., the U.K. bacon is called "back bacon" in the U.S.), sausages, baked beans, white pudding, black pudding, kidneys (grilled or fried), potatoes, toast, soda bread, pancakes, bubble and squeak (the English are so strange with their funny names sometimes), fried mushrooms, fried tomatoes, oatcakes, and fruit pudding. 

After a breakfast like that, I never felt ready for the day, I felt ready for a nap. But my dad doesn't allow for morning naps. We usually powered on and walked the length of the city at least twice to work off some calories. 

Since Erin has moved back to the states (and I am very glad she's here), I was not getting any more authentic English breakfasts soooooo I started making my own once in a while. In Salt Lake City, you can buy back bacon and Heinz beans at the London Market by Trolley Square. It makes a nice Sunday morning brunch! 

When I don't feel like making the WHOLE thing, I like to make just beans and toast. It sounds like a strange combination (especially since I usually don't care for baked beans) but I really enjoy the combination in the morning. It fills me up enough to get through the morning but not so much that I feel the need to walk for hours to burn off some calories. And it only takes 2 minutes to make so its a good breakfast before a long day of work. 

Is anyone still wondering what bubble and squeak is? 



what you'll need:

bread for toast (wheat or white, its your choice)
1 can of baked beans (if you can get Heinz, great!, if not any baked beans are good)


Make the toast. If you're feeling especially reckless, you can butter your toast. 

Heat the beans on the stove or in the microwave. 

Scoop the beans onto the toast and enjoy with coffee or tea. 


Check out the chaos and deliciousness from the last time I made the Full English breakfast! Oh man, I'm hungry! 

 One year ago: Tomato, Sausage and Eggplant SoupChristmas Morning Bake

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin