Roasted Fairytale Eggplants with Chili Lime Yogurt Sauce - Caity


 I have been waiting eagerly all summer for my two little eggplant plants to give me enough produce to make this recipe. The day finally arrived and my little plants gave me 6 baby eggplants all at once! Who knew eggplant could make a person so happy??? A 15-year-younger version of myself never would have thought that an eggplant would make me happy. Then I tried two life changing eggplant recipes: this recipe and also a recipe from Otto Lenghi's "Plenty". Now I am an avid eggplant supporter and an eager eggplant farmer. Who knew I had it in me? 

If you haven't ever seen them, fairytale eggplants are these beautiful miniature eggplants that are tiger striped with white and light purple. They are gorgeous and perfectly bite sized. I have found them occasionally at the farmer's market. If you can't locate them, use the smallest Japanese eggplants you can find which are smaller and narrower than a regular eggplant. Just slice them into 3-4 inch sections prior to roasting them. 

This recipe is uh-maz-ing. It comes from one of my favorite cookbooks by Melia Marden, "Modern Mediterranean". This is the same cookbook that the Balsamic Roasted Chicken comes from. If you ever come across it, I highly suggest picking up a copy! This eggplant recipe is great as an appetizer or a side dish. It is also perfect for a pot luck because it tastes great hot, room temperature or cold. Become an avid eggplant supporter like me and try this recipe today! 

Serves 4 as a side dish

Two years ago: Barley Greek Salad


what you'll need: 

for the eggplants:
2 lbs fairytale eggplants (for alternatives, see above)
6 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
chopped fresh mint

for the chili lime yogurt sauce:
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
1 Thai red chili (or whatever chili you find at the store, I've used a serrano pepper before)
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
1/2 tsp kosher salt


For the Chili Lime Yogurt Sauce:

Slice the chili in half lengthwise. In a small bowl, combine the lime juice and chili and let sit for at least 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, discard the chili. 

Add the yogurt, oil, freshly chopped mint, garlic, and salt. Mix well.

Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. To serve, sprinkle with freshly chopped mint.


For the Roasted Fairytale Eggplants:

Preheat the oven to 425 F. 

Trim the ends off the eggplants and cut in half lengthwise. Place on the baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste until well coated. 

Spread the eggplants in an even layer, cut side down, and roast until browned and crisp, 20-30 minutes. 


Serve with a bowl of yogurt sauce. You can also spoon the sauce on top of the eggplants and sprinkle with chopped mint, if desired. 

Two years ago: Barley Greek Salad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin