Hot Chocolate Truffles - Caity


I am a hot chocolate addict and have been for a very long time. I would rather have hot chocolate in the morning than coffee. Most mornings, I'll make hot chocolate in my Starbucks to-go mug and take it to work. Everyone assumes I am a grown-up and drink coffee but really it's delicious hot chocolate! 

Last Christmas, Keegan and I made hot chocolate truffles on sticks and once I tried one, I knew I had to make them again. I love these truffles because they are so festive and they taste really good. Last year, Keegan and I dipped them in marshmallows, cinnamon/cocoa, and matcha green tea. The green tea looked really pretty and colorful. This year, I tried using crushed candy canes (because I LOVE peppermint hot chocolate) and holiday sprinkles from Target that cost a dollar (I love Target!). I also tried a "Mexican Hot Chocolate" truffle which basically involved adding a little cayenne to the cinnamon/cocoa mixture. I think dipping them in powdered sugar would also be really pretty. 

These truffles are really easy, basically melt the chocolate, chill, reform and dip. Things can get a little messy when you're dipping them but my friend, Karlee, had a great idea to put the finished truffles in a mini-cupcake tin to help hold their shape. I don't have one though so my truffles were slightly more.... oblong. But they still taste great! 

This recipe is from the "Your Cup of Cake" blog and makes approximately 15 truffles (depending on the size of your truffles). 



what you'll need:

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract

Optional extras:
crushed candy canes 
mini candy canes or sticks
cinnamon
cocoa powder
mini marshmallows (Kraft jet-puffed mallow bits work well. See picture above) 
matcha green tea 

Place all ingredients in a pot. 


Melt together on low heat until smooth. Stir constantly until melted. 


Let cool in the fridge, or freezer if you're in a hurry (but don't let it freeze), until stiff enough to scoop.

Make small scoops, about 2 Tbsp each. Roll them into balls and place in fridge for an hour or so. 

If you want to use mini candy canes as stirring sticks, break off the curved part and stick them into the truffles now. 


Roll in your choice of decoration. 

For the cinnamon cocoa, I used 2/3 tsp of cinnamon mixed with 2 tsp of cocoa powder. 

If you use the mini marshmallows, you really have to push the marshmallows into the chocolate. 


Wrap each ball in plastic wrap and keep chilled until ready to use. 

When ready to use, use 1 truffle for every 1-1/2 cups hot milk. 

Microwave: drop the truffle into the milk and microwave both for desired amount of time. Then stir to mix the warmed truffle. 

Stove top: heat the milk to desired temperature. Stir to mix the truffle. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin

Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin